Friday, February 21, 2014

Get Thee to the Zendo; Idiopathic Origins



We’ve been hearing a lot in mainstream culture recently about the virtues of meditation; its health benefits, calming effects, as a means of centering ourselves.  I began “sitting” at the end of 2003 not only in response to a mind that had gone completely “monkey,” but to a spirit that felt broken.  Despite my psychic pain, I knew deep down that I was my medicine.  


When I began meditating, I sat on a couple of pillows, focusing on a lit candle.  It felt like a complete joke.  I could not keep my eyes focused on the flame, they were fluttering about so rapidly.  It was all so very uncomfortable.  Looking back, I now recognize that the observation of my discomfort, the awareness of my eyes, was an essentially progressive aspect of the meditative experience.  Back then, I had to operate on faith (and no small hint of desperation) that practicing meditation consistently would lessen the discomfort over time.  And for the time being, any aspiration of enlightenment had to be shelved (LOL).


So, guided only by myself, I simply sat every morning for 15 minutes on the pillows in front of the candle.  Well, maybe not every morning.  And, well, maybe not always for 15 minutes.  But I kept at it.  For a while, I continued to observe my feelings of discomfort.  Thoughts of all kinds came and went, fast and furious, and I would react to the “heavy traffic” with frustration.  But I did not – and this is important – allow the discomfort and frustration stop me from sitting.  From something I had heard or read somewhere, I know breath was important, so I began more and more to focus on my breath.


As time went on, I gradually noticed a shift.  I actually started becoming more comfortable with the discomfort.  I accepted it.  Sort of surrendered to it, I guess you could say.  Essentially, I stopped judging it…and I’ll bet you can guess what started to happen, Grasshopper…my meditations became more relaxed; more peaceful.  The “content” didn’t necessarily change at first, but as my response to the content changed, the content then DID begin to change.  Thoughts came less frequently (though, of course, they still came), they were more fleeting, and I was able to maintain my focus on my breath for longer periods of time.  Side effects of my meditation practice began to make themselves known.  I was more relaxed in my daily life, and less reactive to negative events and situations in general.


In the spring of 2004, I decided to reward myself with a dedicated meditation cushion, so I headed down to the San Francisco Zen Center to purchase one.  Upon entering the doors of the Zen Center, yet another world opened up to me.  In the process of acquiring my zafu (the Buddhist term for a meditation cushion), I spent an hour in the bookstore, intrigued by all of the titles related to Zen Buddhism, Zen, meditation, spirituality, etc.  I acquired a schedule of public sitting at the Zen Center and decided that I would take my meditation “up a notch.”


My first sitting in the Zendo (a Zen Buddhist temple of meditation) was surreal, mind-blowing, and somewhat brutal.  I sat for 40 minutes facing a wall.  After about the first 15 minutes, I was in full-blown observation of my monkey mind and increasing physical discomfort.  But there I sat.  Despite feeling thrashed and my foot going completely numb from sitting cross-legged, at the end, I felt triumphant, as though I had persevered through a major rite of initiation.  So interspersed with my sitting at home, when my schedule allowed, I would occasionally sit at the Zendo.  The energy of collective sitting with seasoned meditators is quite sublime.  There is a wondrous, pure silence and ethereal power when minds collectively go “within.”


I have not sought out meditation “how-to’s.”  I keep it to observing my thoughts without judgment and mindfully returning to my breath.  I have adhered to my intention of keeping it simple and making it mine, and this has served me well, as it did when my father was diagnosed with a blood condition of idiopathic origin in the late summer of 2004.

No comments:

Post a Comment