Friday, April 11, 2014

Halloween Hollowing



I suspend my flow of prose this week to bring you a poem that woke me a few nights ago, asking to be written.  I happily complied.  I know it’s not quite Halloween, but both I and the poem could not wait for it to be shared with you.

                                            Halloween Hollowing

                             We are pumpkins.
                             In the darkness, under the moon,
                             We are hollowed clean.
                             Our carved, curved
                             Smiling faces of joy emerge,
                             And the flame shines brightly
                             From within
                             For all to see in the dark
                             While the spirits dance
                             In celebration
                             And the coyotes howl
                             With delight.
                                                                   2014

No comments:

Post a Comment